Thursday, November 8, 2007

Much has happened since last I wrote.

As of about two weeks ago, I was ranked 4th in my Trigonometry class (out of about 20 students), with a total average of about 91%. Over the last few weeks we have studied properties of the trigonometric functions (identity properties, Pythagorean properties), and are currently studying Law of Sines and Law of Cosines, along with triangular area formulas.

Chemistry is not going as well, and although I don't know my exact average in the class, I am somewhere in the B range. Still one more test and the final exam to pull that up to an A, though. I also just submitted some extra credit work, which will boost me up a little bit. The last few chapters studied have dealt with subatomics, specifically electron orbitals and configuration, properties of substances based on electron configurations, Lewis structures, and molecular shapes. I'll be visiting my professor soon to review my grade, and see exactly where I am at in both lecture and laboratory.

Psychology is cake, relatively speaking. There has been 3 tests, all of which I have scored 45 out of 45. The final project is due in a week, in which I have to do a paper and presentation on another country of my choice. My choice of course is Ireland.

Maybe even more exciting than my normal coursework has been my involvement in extracurricular activities. The Leadership Academy course has been hugely valuable, both in learning more about myself, and making quality contacts in the college community. I read a great book for the class, entitled "The Anatomy of Peace", which essentially states that conflict is usually caused by self-deception and self-betrayal. The book addresses how this self-betrayal can be recognized and resolved. Great book all around, one I didn't want to put down.

Also for the Leadership Academy, we were given access to StrengthsQuest, a test designed by the Gallup organization, consisting of 180 pairs of statements. You select the statement you relate more strongly to, and after the test is complete, it provides you with a list of your top 5 strengths as a leader. My top five strengths were Woo, Ideation, Input, Learner, and Positivity. The website also has "action item" lists, that suggest good activities and behaviors to engage in based on your top strengths. Its been a great tool for me, and I plan on exploring it further. I encourage anyone to check out the website for more information, www.strengthsquest.com.

I've also joined the Biotechnology club at school. We have a field trip next friday to Medtronic, a global medical engineering firm based here in Tempe, AZ. They are publicly traded, although I don't know their symbol off the top of my head. After joining the club and attending the first meeting, I've already met a few good contacts in the Life Sciences department at school that will be valuable in developing my further academic and professional careers.

No comments: